4/12/11

Moleson and Me


Due to its prominence and size, the summit of Moleson has intrigued me from the first time I laid eyes on it Fall of last year.  Accompanied by hikers, I was at the time in no position to attempt a summit, and so I vowed to return as soon as possible to tackle it.  Nature intervened.  A mid December attempt proved fruitless (and obviously mistimed) due to the snow, but was very successful if success is measured by amount of chocolate or cheese ingested.  An early season heat wave all last week melted enough snow that I opted for another shot the 2002 m peak, rather than a return to the crest of the Swiss Jura mountains (~1500m) where I had spent a good chunk of April's weekends. 

I love going to bed on Friday nights thinking about tomorrows climb. This one proved to be quite tough.   4150 vertical feet in 7.3 miles, which was about 1.5 miles and 1/2 hr longer than I had hoped.  The day warmed up quickly and at ~75 F it was easily one of the warmest days of the year.  The snow conditions were fine, but much of the Western ascent route was on cow pasture.  I opted for a few shortcuts here and there and did about 1000 vertical feet at 45% grade.  Ouch.


Approaching Moleson from Gruyere area



There were only a few snow fields to cross, this one had a terrible run-out so I went around and straight up through the cow pasture ...


... where I was rewarded with some great wildflower sightings.  I'd guess this might be a Synthiris (Snow Queen)


and this is the bluest Gentian I've ever seen.


From Moleson I took the ridgeline route South towards Teyschaux



and then dropped off the ridgeline route to the right after the fields of crocus, which were absolutely peaking


Snow-wise this run was done with perfect timing, here the very side of the road is open for running



Crocus for days on the descent of Moleson


Daphne in bloom and very fragrant


The SW route off the Moleson Teyschaux ridge had some very nice runnable sections



Beginning the ascent of Nirenmont to the West


On the very pleasant and well worthwhile peak of Nirenmont looking back at Moleson on the left.  The pasture I climbed is slightly below and to the left of the summit


Garmin says - 19 miles with 5600 ft of vertical est. (Garmin died on the way up Niremont). About 1/4 of the ascent of Moleson was at 40-45% grade.

No comments:

Post a Comment