8/19/10

Bike Tour: I made it!


I made it San Francisco!  What an amazing bike trip.  Stopped a couple of hundred miles short in SF rather than San Diego due to:  Where's Waldo on 8/22, school stuff keeping me a few days in Corvallis, lots to do and see along the way, achy knee towards the end.  Anyways it was very fun.  Over 12 days I biked 790 miles from Corvallis, OR to San Francisco, and ran 61 miles, almost solely on trails.  I was pretty surprised at how liberating and fun bike touring is.  I hope to do the whole coast some time. In the mean time some highlights ...







The route i took to the coast was very hilly and involved 20 straight miles with no cars or stop signs






Sunshine and great views outside of Brookings, OR.



Fantastic descent of the Humbug Mtn trail




Many odd and dangerous roadside attractions.



Cape Ferrello trail in Samuel Boardmann State Park

Crossing the border by bike.


Stealth site on the Smith River, note the use of rocks as tie-offs.


Fantastic trails in Prarie Creek Redwoods Park


Reconstructed Native Village in Humboldt.
Lost Coast Brewery taster set.



Amazing Victorians in Ferndale


300 foot redwoods on Ave of the Giants


Fantastic biking in Ave of the Giants as well


Roadside refueling stop


Hwy 1 in Mendocino County



Yellow Sand Verbena




Pygmy Cypress Forest in Mendocino



Lots and lots of food



I broke my chain and had to wait an hour or so for someone with the tool I needed


Some pretty steep switchbacks in S Mendocino County


Crazy Sonoma hills



Barefoot run on Bodega Dunes



Recovery of my lost Scoop Away lid with some backtracking



A final triumphant climb through the fog up Mt Tam



Finally crossing over the Golden Gate.  Mission accomplished.




View Larger Map

No comments:

Post a Comment