11/20/11

JJ 100 (km) race report


Somehow I managed to muddle my way through the Javelina 100 (km) race last weekend despite an almost complete lack of training.  The course, the volunteers and the organization were amazing at this event.  It was really a spectacle.  Camping the night before at the start line, we were awakened numerous times the calls of coyotes.  I was really excited to spend the entire day in the desert.

After 1/2 hour of running in the dark, the sunrise did not dissapoint.  The scenery was amazing in the morning light and somehow my shins were not hurting.  As an aside, if I ran this race again I would not carry a headlamp to begin with, if it's not cloudy out there will be plenty of moonlight.  I felt good on the first lap, the rocky section up was fun, the rollers even more fun, and I managed a good constant tempo back down the slightly boring double track no the way back in.  On lap 2 I saw a giant tarantula on the dirt road and struck up a number of interesting conversations which made the time go by quickly.  Starting lap three I felt absolutely great, I was excited by my 'time bank', always a dangerous notion, but I quickly began to  fatigue, in my hip flexors especially.  As the lap wore on my overall run/walk balance listed dangerously towards the latter.  I muddled my way through a good chunk of lap 4 before sunset.  I never ran another step after it got dark.  Ugh.  I get so tired after sunset, I am not sure why, but the same thing happened to me at Western States last year when I zombie-walked my way down all of Cal St.  No matter, I finished  my first 100m that day because that is what I set out to do, and I was in good shape to do.  I did not feel like walking the last 50 mi this race, so I called it quits after the 5th lap.  For me there was no point to walking in the 100 mi, when I was perfectly happy to have finished the 100km.  

It was fun, it was a great race and (before the sun set) I enjoyed myself thoroughly.  Since its raining cats and dogs here in Bloomington IN today, I put together a few plots illustrating my day.  Many people took the 100km option, probably half of all drops occurred here.  Darkness and the onset of rain were probably important factors. 


Fig 1:  Attrition rate vs lap number.  Each lap is 15 mi, except the 7th, which is 10 mi.  Attrition rate is defined by percentage of people finishing each lap (click to enlarge).




Fig 2:  Cumulative time at 100km binned by time.  All runners are considered, whether they ran 100km or 100m.  I ran a 14:28, putting me right in the middle of pack (full results here).  The 14:28 is a 1 hr PR over my only other 100km time at Waldo 2010.

I got much slower with every lap, presumably due to my poor training.  Why was my training poor?  Shin splints.  I battled with them for about 2 months this spring, but they went away and I was feeling great for months all summer, including when I signed up for race.  Then they came back, with a vengeance.  I ran ~25 miles per week for about 2 months before the race, except for the week I ran around Mt St Helens.  It just wasn't enough.  Alternatively, my tapering was fantastic, and my shins did not hurt all race.  The long and the short of it is a prescribed 1 month off of running.  I'm at the 1 week mark right now, its not so bad, not so great either, but I am keeping busy with yoga, lifting, swimming, spin class and road cycling.  It's a great way to see the country side and I might have to finally do a century ride next summer.   




Fig 3:  My lap time vs lap number.  Lap 5 = zombie walk  (click to enlarge)


Race-wise, I'm not sure if I'll be doing a 100 miler next year.  I've considered Burning River in late July, but I really enjoy the 50 mi distance.  It's easily my favorite.  I'm mulling all this about in my head as I ponder what 2012 will be like.  What I do know, is that 2010 was a great season of running because of the successful buildup to WS100.  I was strong and consistent all Spring, and I toed the line at WS in the best health I've ever been.  Ideally my 2012 season will consist of the same, with the emphasis on consistency and injury free running, even if my mileage is a bit reduced.  I'd like to experience that 'best shape I've ever been in' feeling again, and that's why I'm taking a month off to heal this nagging injury.  Internet running and 2012 planning will have to suffice for a bit.   


No comments:

Post a Comment